FREE Cavity Wall Insulation*
Grants are available to pay for the entire cost of having Cavity Wall Insulation professionally installed. Everyone qualifies for a grant, regardless of income or benefits.
The grant funding is part of a scheme known as the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) which is part of the Government's new Green Deal Energy Efficiency program. The grants come from the main energy suppliers and they do not have to be re-paid.
With energy costs continuing to rise, Cavity Wall Insulation is one of the best ways to reduce your heating bills. Un-insulated Cavity Walls can cause up to 35% of the heat in a property to escape. Cavity Insulation typically saves a household up to £145 each year.
Who Qualifies For a Cavity Wall Insulation Grant?
Everyone qualifies for FREE Cavity Wall Insulation. It does not matter how much you earn, whether you receive benefits or where you live.
A contribution towards the cost may be required if the property is already energy efficient or if there is more work required than normal. People living in smaller properties, three storey buildings, homes with access problems, etc., may not receive a 100% grant.
The only criteria is that you own your property or rent it from a private landlord. We cannot assist Council or Housing Association tenants unless you are a Housing Association tenant who owns more than 50% of the property.
What is Cavity Wall Insulation?
Most properties built of brick between 1924 and 1982 are likely to have a cavity between two layers of brick, or between brick and block that was not filled with insulation when the property was built.After 1982, building regulations changed and required insulation to be fitted in the Cavity at the time of build. Before 1924, properties were generally built without a cavity.
Most Installers use Cavity Insulation made from shredded mineral wool (glass fibre), that can reduce the amount of heat escaping from the walls by up to 35%. Cavity Wall Insulation can save you up to £145 per year on energy bills and reduce carbon emissions by up to 610kg.
Cavity Wall Insulation Grants
- Private, domestic UK households (not commercial).
- Most homes built of brick between 1924 and 1982.
- Shredded mineral wool/glass fibre in most cases.
- Blown into the gap between two layers of bricks.
- Installed from the ground floor to the roof.
- Fitted by approved local Insulation Installers.
Is My Property Suitable For Cavity Wall Insulation?
Recent research, carried out by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), showed that only 58% of all properties that can benefit from Cavity Wall Insulation have been insulated. Your property could be among the remaining 42% still to be insulated.
The first thing to check before applying for a Grant is whether your home has cavity walls. Most properties built of brick from 1924 onwards are likely to have a cavity. If your property was built before 1924, it is likely to have solid walls as shown to the right:
Another way to tell whether your property has a cavity is if the walls are at least 250mm (10") thick. Properties that are built after 1982 should already have Cavity Wall Insulation, as building regulations changed to ensure it was fitted during construction.
If you think that your property already has Cavity Wall Insulation, it is not worth applying for a Grant as Cavity Wall Insulation cannot be topped up.
You Will NOT Be Able To Have Cavity Wall Insulation Installed If:
- Your property was built before 1924 or after 1982.
- The walls have already been filled with blown Insulation.
- You live in a flat and do not have the agreement of neighbours above and below.
- There are any signs of damp on the inside or outside of the walls.
- The property is timber/steel framed, concrete or stone.
- Ventilation is inadequate and a vent cannot be fitted.
If your property has solid walls, rather than cavity walls, you may be able to claim a grant for External Wall Insulation please call for details on External Wall Insulation.
Cavity Wall Insulation Savings
Cavity Wall Insulation prevents up to 35% of the heat generated in your home from escaping. This results in lower energy bills because your heating can be turned on less often and for shorter periods. Savings of up to £145 per year are possible.
- Prevents up to 35% of heat being lost through your walls.
- Saves up to £145 per year on your home energy bills.
- Cuts Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions by up to 610kg per year.
- Can be paid for with a 100% Government-backed ECO Grant.
Savings figures are based on Energy Saving Trust estimates for a semi-detached property heated by gas.
Because less fossil fuel is being burned, Cavity Wall Insulation will also reduce carbon emissions by up to 610kg per year, therefore helping to protect the environment from global warming.